Saturday 3 April 2010

Partick to Perth


Just six weeks ago I wrote about a family that moved from Ballyclug in County Antrim, Northern Ireland, to Partick, Glasgow, Scotland. Little did I think that a week ago I would get an email 'out of the blue' from a descendant in Western Australia. I had sent a Family Tree to his uncle some years ago and this has now been passed on. This family descends from two brothers, William and Clark, both of whom in turn married Agnes McClure. My correspondent is descended from the elder brother, William. As well as bringing me up to date about the current generations of the family he, and his uncle, are proving to be a wonderful source of photographs.

First, there is a picture of the tenement building in Dumbarton Road, Partick where the family lived up to the end of the Second World War. Interestingly there is a bread shop shown belonging to Macfarlane Lane, the famous Glasgow biscuit manufacturers. This housing has we think been replaced by a modern development. As I called my blog of 9th February Ballyclug to Partick I have added this photo to what I wrote then. At the head of today's blog I have put the photos of William and Agnes McIlhagga's son John (born 3rd Jan 1897) and his wife Jeannie Anderson Hay. I said in February that they had two children, Agnes and John and I have learned from my correspondent that Agnes passed away in 2008. It is always interesting to know whether the McIlhagga name continues in any of our families and we know that in this 'Partick', now 'Perth', Western Australia family there is indeed one male McIlhagga, though as far as I know he has no offspring.

No comments:

Post a Comment