Thursday 13 May 2010

A Stray Baptism?

Although I have indexes of many hundreds of clan names through the centuries, occasionally I come across a person that I haven't found before. There is a list on the Internet of Carnmoney, Northern Ireland, Presbyterian baptisms which includes that of Mary Jane on 25th March 1847. Her parents are given as John Harvey and Agnes McIlhagga. I have no other record of this marriage (if marriage it was) or of an Agnes McIlhagga who would presumably have been born in the 1820s. However, there is one possible 'fit'. In Carnmoney there was a marriage of a Robert George and an Agnes McIlhagger. There is some evidence that Robert and their children took Agnes' surname, and they did have a daughter Agnes in about 1821. I have no evidence that she married, though it is possible that I have now found that she did!

1 comment:

  1. greetings!

    MY NAME IS DONALD MILLIGAN, DESCENDANT OF JAMES MILLIKIN & HELEN MCHAGO WHO I BELIEVE WERE MARRIED IN CARNMONEY CHURCH IN CO. ANTRIM IN THE EARLY 1700'S & THEN SETTLED IN THE BALLYCLARE AREA. I AM THE GREAT, GREAT, GREAT,GREAT GRANDSON OF SAMUEL MILLIKIN, OF THE BALLYCLARE/BALLYNASHEE, CO. ANTRIM AREA, WHO WAS KILLED DURING THE 1798 REBELLION OF THE UNITED IRISHMEN AT THE BATTLE OF ANTRIM.
    SAMUEL MILLIKIN IS THE DIRECT DESCENDANT OF JAMES MILLIKIN AND HELEN MCHAGO.
    I AM VERY INTERESTED IN CONTACTING MCHAGO DESCENDANTS WHO MAY HAVE BEEN RELATED TO THE HELEN MCHAGO, ABOVE.

    I HOPE THIS POST REACHES THE MEMBERS OF THIS GROUP, AS I AM NOT SURE THAT I HAVE ENTERED MY MESSAGE IN THE RIGHT PLACE & IN THE CORRRECT MANNER TO BE FOUND. THANK YOU, DON MILLIGAN NEAR SEATTLE, WASHINGTON. DONMILLIGAN@COMCAST.NET

    ReplyDelete