Monday 12 September 2011

Death in Drogheda and Birth in Irvine

My Scottish friend who is a descendant of ship's captain Robert McElhago who was drowned in a shipwreck in 1797 has prompted me to try to find someone who will visit the church-yard of St. Peter's Church of Ireland in Drogheda to see whether by chance there is a surviving Memorial Inscription commemorating the shipwreck of the sloop Jenny and in particular of Master Mariner Robert McElhago. Frankly, without much expectation I have written, asking for help, to the Millmount Museum in Drogheda, Co. Louth, and I await a response with interest.

I have recently acquired the birth and baptism details of the last child born to Robert and Elizabeth McElhago of Irvine. I found the Old Parish Record of John, though he is indexed on the Internet as McIlhagor. Having examined the original, I'm sure the name is entered as McLihagor! He was born on 11th and baptised on 19th August 1789. The entry reads, John son to Robt. McLihagor, ship Mr. and Eliz Jameson. This means that John was born 8 months and 5 days after his father was drowned in the tragic shipwreck. John must have been conceived just before Robert set sail on that fateful voyage, and Elizabeth can't have known she was pregnant when she heard about Robert's death.

No comments:

Post a Comment