Friday 19 August 2011

Kelly's Directory

Recently I visited a friend on Merseyside and to my delight she had a Kelly's Directory for 1946 for Liverpool and its environs. There were two McIlhagga entries, the first for my father confirming the address we lived at in Wallasey, 41 Claremount Road. Although I would have been a young teenager at the time I'm sure I wasn't aware of the other clan name, a Mrs. Margaret McIlhagga living about ten miles away at 3 Kinross Road, Waterloo, Liverpool 22. According to my Family Tree there is only one person she could have been, my great aunt by marriage. Margaret Abiah Jones had married my great uncle Crawford in 1905 in St. Alban's Church, Bevington, Liverpool and they had two children, Mary in 1906 and William Crawford in 1909. Sadly William Crawford died when he was 6 weeks old. Mary lived to marry a C.W. Stubbs. I'm afraid I know nothing of their subsequent history. Margaret's husband Crawford died in 1926 at the age of 55. Margaret lived on to the great age of 81 and died in Crosby, Liverpool on 23rd March 1957 at the same address as shown in the 1946 Kelly's Directory.

Crawford was the third son of Crawford and Elizabeth McIlhagga. After he married Margaret they lived at 63 Summer Seat, Exchange, Liverpool, which was where they had the two children. Margaret was the daughter of a Cooper, Richard William Jones. The witnesses at their marriage were a couple called Quayle. About ten years ago I had a message from a descendant of the Jones family to say that the Dowling/Joneses recall visiting the McIlhaggas on a regular basis in Mould Street, which presumably was in the 1900s when they lived in Mould Street, which is where Crawford died. He was a Railway Clerk, a job he had had for over twenty years.

No comments:

Post a Comment