Tuesday 1 January 2013

New Year and Flodden

First, may I wish you all a Happy New Year! I have today, in gloriously sunny but cold weather, been on a 'Peace Walk' to the site of the Battle of Flodden when 500 years ago the Scots were massacred by the English. On my family tree (paternal grandmother's line) I have four Scotsmen who were all killed at Flodden, a 3rd Cousin, two 4th cousins and a half-6th cousin. Next, I must report briefly that the Scotlandspeople website, which updates its BMDs each 1st January has only one item of interest to us this year. There are no 1912 births, no 1937 marriages, but there is one 1962 death, that of James McIlhagga on 11th May that year. He was aged 66 and was a Coal Miner living in Bathgate, West Lothian, Scotland. He was married to Jean Walker Wallace and had had five children, Daniel, James, Ruth, Roy and Elizabeth.

No comments:

Post a Comment