Monday 2 November 2009

Two souls






















Fifty and more years ago Presbyterians didn't hold much with saints days, though in some parts they did celebrate All Saints Day (1st November). In the Christian tradition All Souls Day (2nd November) has been celebrated at the same season when our own departed loved ones have been remembered. Yesterday I came across the Internet site 'Find a Grave' and put 'McIlhagga' into the search box. Most of the results were references to military casualties from the First and Second World Wars, which I will acknowledge separately, but two were not. I knew of their deaths but hadn't such good photos of the grave stones, one in Canada and one in the USA.

The first grave commemorates Archibald D. McIlhagga, 1882 - 1968 about whom I have written in my blog of 8th September where there is a photograph of him and his family. The plaque is in Capilano View Cemetery, West Vancouver, British Columbia. The record has been created on 'findagrave' by someone who calls himself 'Mountainrain' and who added the photo on November 11th, 2007. He says "I am not related to any of the individuals that I post here. I am posting for information purposes only... to help people further their genealogical research and/or learn more or reminisce/remember their family member(s)".

The second grave has been recorded quite recently on June 10th this year. It is for Thomas N. McIlhagga, 1891 - 1949, about whom I have not yet written, though will do so in due course. This stone is in Daytona Memorial Park (formerly Cedar Hill Memory Park), Daytona Beach, Volusia County, Florida (Plot: Section B). This photo was taken by Robert Stanley Orrell who writes, "I live in Port Orange, Florida and have been researching my family since 1977. I enjoy prowling cemeteries and taking photos of the graves. Some of the older stones are rapidly deteriorating... I firmly believe we all should learn more of our ancestors and share this information with anyone interested".

I am grateful to 'Mountainrain' and to Mr. Orrell for their diligence and kindness in sharing and will email them both to tell them so. We are also grateful to those who created and who maintain the 'findagrave' website.





No comments:

Post a Comment