Wednesday 20 June 2012

Birth in Australia & a Farm in Ireland

Port Muck, Islandmagee

Isn't it interesting how ofter a death and a birth happen close together in a family? On 9th June I reported the death of Elizabeth McIlhagga in Cloughmills, County Antrim, Northern Ireland. On 12th, Toby Samuel Loughridge, a grandnephew (by marriage) was born in Australia. Congratulations to his parents, Colin and Leanna, to his siblings and to his grandmother Mary (nee McIlhagga). 

Also I've had an interesting correspondence recently with two people about Islandmagee. Neither were researching our clan but one did give me the names of the three children born to John McCalmont and Martha Forbes, the first of whom was Samuel McIlhagga McCalmont. Martha was the granddaughter of Catherine McIlhaggo who married Arthur Forbes about 1835 in Islandmagee. So we can record another example of McIlhagga being used as a middle name. 

My correspondent also sent me a number of photographs, including the above, which in her opinion are probably of the site of the farm in Port Muck, Islandmagee, where Catherine my have been born to Samuel McIlhaggo and Ellon McWhinney about 1806.

No comments:

Post a Comment