Saturday 22 December 2012

Books

When I started this blog, four years ago, I decided to look for any artefacts which were connected to our clan, for you never know what may turn up. Apart from a war medal which I am pleased to say has found its way to the family where it belongs, the only other things which have turned up have been books. There are quite a number which have authors with clan names and I have quite a long list of those, which I need to bring up to date sometime. What I am concerned with here, however, are those books in which one or more characters, factual or fictional, appear and who have a clan name. As I have come across them I have referred to them in the blog, but never listed them. I do that now:

Dixon Donaldson, History of Islandmagee, 1927, re-published 2002 by Islandmagee Community Development Association;
James Reynold, Maeve the Huntress, a Novel, 1952, Farrar, Straus and Young, Inc., New York;
Tom McCaughren, The Legend of the Golden Key, 1983, third edition 2011, Mercier Press, Ireland, a Children's Story;
Janet Fawcett Higginson and Vicki Landis Wiatt, Mom I'm Bored!, 1985, A Guide for Parental Survival, Oak Lodge Publishing, Oregon, illustrated by Marjorie McIlhagga;
Mark Nelson, Winnipeg's Navy, 2003, published by Mark Nelson.

In addition I have recently come across four titles listed by Google Books, as follows:

George Henry Thurston, Ed., Directory of Pittsburg and Allegheny cities, 1856, referring to Margaret McElhago with an address. I have written about this person who is buried in Allegheny Cemetery. There are, of course, several Irish Directories referring to a number of clan members;
The Northern Ireland Law Reports, Butterworths, 1944, referring to the case of Belfast Corporation v. McIlhagger. I have not yet been able to research this publication;
HM Stationary Office, Report of the Deputy Keeper of the Records, 1949, referring to James McElhago of Larne, Co. Antrim, having a Lease in 1786. I have a copy of this lease;
Finally there is a sociological study by Rosemary Harris, Manchester University Press, 1972, which will be the subject of another blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment