Wednesday 18 July 2012

A North Street Family

My next three Kirkinriola baptisms are I believe of siblings despite the fact that in four years this family was at three different addreses. The clue is that they gave their children distinctive second names, Atkinson, McLurkan and Todd. The parents were Andrew and Elizabeth (once Lizzie). I think we are looking at Andrew son of John McIlhagga and Mary Ann Atkinson, who married Elizabeth Todd on 7 August 1906 at Ahoghill Church of Ireland, Ballymena. The records of the three children at St. Patrick's, Kirkinriola are as follows:

Baptism: 8 Jul 1907 (born 15 Apr 1907) Andrew Atkinson to Andrew and Lizzie McIlhagga, of Patrick Place, A Millworker;


Baptism: 11 Apr 1909 (born 16 Jan 1909) Agnes McLurkan to Andrew and Elizabeth McIlhagga, of Ness (?) Street, Ballymena, Mill Worker;


Baptism: 15 Jan 1911 (born 24 Sep 1910), Elizabeth Todd to Andrew and Elizabeth McIlhagga, North Street, Ballymena, Labourer.

From a family source I knew that Elizabeth had the second name Todd, so this gave me confidence that I was right. Also these folk appear in the 1911 Census at 4 North Street, Ballymena, where Andrew's age was 32 and his occupation was Flax Buncher. In addition to the above three children there was also an older child in the Census, Jeanie. Andrew and Lizzie both signed the Ulster Covenant a year later, till living at North Street. Andrew does not appear to be on the 1901 Census. After 1911 Andrew and Elizabeth were to have another six children.

If I am right about this family, we know from the McIlhagga-Atkinson marriage that John's father was William. I was therefore wrong in my blog of 16 Dec 2011 to identify John as the son of James McIlhagga and Jane Middleton.

No comments:

Post a Comment